Ore no Sora / My skies (1992) [joint w/ orphan]

Surprisingly, I did this translation back in June 2022 (!) when I still had the energy and motivation so here's the old school verbose description for your enjoyment: 

With a half-done script laying around, I heard the call of my skies when Orphan released a good VHS rip as part of their "Cleaning the attics" event. The fact is almost mind-blowing that I grew up on their releases, and now I play a role in one myself. 
Update: this sub was in the works for so long that WOWmd had since then acquired a captured an LD for it.
Considering, the eponymous prequel to the source manga is currently being translated by Hokuto no Gun, you'd rather expect them to translate this OVA as well. Yet as it appears, HnG is still far from completing even the prequel manga, so it befell upon me to deliver this one. Because I'm such a big dingus, I only figured I should try looking for the raw manga towards the end of ep 1, so with its acquisition, I had to review the whole episode once again. 
Yet even with about half of the lines pretranscribed, this proved a tough nut to crack. Characters use professional police/yakuza jargon on every occasion, or even without one. Let's just say, even 2 episodes later, I only got used to singular words comprising said structures, still struggling with complicated constructions. Not only that, the characters constantly shout things, often drunk, often with a loud music in the background, often making me wanna shoot myself. 
But at least, all that reaffirms once again it's a good OVA we've brought to you. Quite comprehensive and uncompromising, well written and well animated, making one feel completely immersed and engaged. It's as though you are there yourself, investigating the drowned girl in the Kyobashi ward with your fellow operatives, trying to avoid crossing the corrupt officials in this institution, built like a cardhouse with all the higher ranks clinging to one another in a vicious circle. But at least your shift ends in just 3 hours, so it's more or less bearable now. 
It has, perhaps, but one issue, diminishing the experience: the MC being dirty rich and using that to facilitate dealing with the crime. That element is completely detached from reality, but well, that kinda was Ippei's only premise in the original manga series, that has about 0 in common with this, aside from characters. 

Get it on nyaa | Collectr's post | Subs only 

Comments